Here are the recommended steps to take when receiving a lawsuit from a patient or a licensing board notice:
- Immediately contact EDIC to report the case and send the paperwork;
- Don’t discuss the claim or issues with the patient, attorney, licensing board representative or anyone other than your insurance company or an attorney they assign;
- Keep the clinical record safe and DO NOT ALTER ANY RECORDS;
- Do not initiate any research or investigation into the issues;
- Maintain perspective – this happens.
- I anticipate moving to a different state next year. I have a Claims-Made Policy. Will my EDIC insurance cover me when I move? What do I need to do?
- I work for a practice in North Carolina but I work a few hours a week at a practice in Virginia. How does my dental malpractice coverage work if I work in 2 different states?
- At what point in your dental career do you recommend hiring someone to help with financial management?
- What steps should I take when receiving a lawsuit from a patient or a notice from the licensing board?